The Annapolis dining scene has exploded over the past few years, with creative and fun restaurants popping up all over town. During Annapolis’s sixth annual Restaurant Week celebration, more than forty local restaurants are showing off their kitchen chops. Annapolis Restaurant Week, organized by the Annapolis Business Association, runs from Monday, February 23rd through Sunday, March 1st.
Oh baby, it’s cold outside! But in these darkest winter weeks, if you need motivation to bundle up and get out of the house, Baltimore shops have got you covered. Around the city, sales and trunk shows featuring everything from furniture to dresses will warm you right up.
There’s just something about a great view. Whether it’s the city skyline or the sun shimmering over the harbor, it feels good to start and close the day gazing at something gorgeous. At 2 East Wells, a newly constructed apartment building in South Baltimore, near Federal Hill, residents never have to go far to find the picturesque. From the multiple rooftop decks to the apartments themselves, the building offers some of the best views the city has to offer.
This is the first in a new series “Sassy Style” – columns that offer great style advice, sponsored by Harbor East boutique Sassanova.
Remember what it felt like to be a little girl in a shoe shop, getting a brand new, shiny pair of Mary Janes? We couldn’t wait to put them on and wear them right out of the store.
New shoes, clothes and accessories still get us just as excited as they did when we were five. But the second half of winter is tough. Shops are filled with pretty springtime clothes, while the streets are still covered with gray slush and temperatures hover around freezing.
But instant clothing gratification is still possible, even in the dead of winter. Right now, Sassanova is full of clothes with great “transitional” potential. The trick is all in the styling.
Check out some of Sassanova’s most transition-friendly pieces – along with some great tips for how to style them from season to season:
Lighten with White
With its bold pattern and casual lines, the Tracy Reese Kurta, shown below in indigo, adds cheer to weekend staples in every season. Wear it now with black leggings, knee-high boots and a fitted jacket.
Baltimore is feeling the love this Valentine’s Day – and beyond – with sales and events all over the area. If you left your shopping until the last minute, don’t fear. Check out these great sales and events on Valentine’s Day and all week long:
- Hampden is full of love this Valentine’s Day, with a pop-up with florist Crimson and Clover at Trohv on Saturday, February 14th. And don’t miss Hampden Junque’s 20th anniversary sale, featuring 20% off everything in the store throughout the month of February.
- At Bijoux Jewels in Green Spring Station, the storewide sale, including discounts of up to 50% off, ends this Saturday, February 14th.
- Save up to 90% on Kinross cashmere at the Kinross trunk show at Lori K. The show ends on February 14th. Also through Valentine’s Day, receive a Valentine gift with every purchase.
- Through February 14th, Stebbins for Her shoppers will receive a free jewelry case with any Vera Bradley purchase of $100 or more.
- Stop into Alice Jane by the end of the day on February 14th to guess the number of jelly beans in their jar – the winner gets the jelly beans and an Alice Jane gift card.
- Need a gift in the early morning? Head to Godiva ‘s Towson Town Center location, opening at 8 a.m. on Saturday, February 14th.
- Through February 15th, gift certificates come with bonuses at Octavia II in Cross Keys. With a $40 gift certificate, you will receive a $10 certificate free – and the amounts increase from there ($20 with a $100 gift card, $25 with $150, $35 with $200 and $100 with $500).
- Until February 16th, Merritt Gallery and Renaissance Fine Arts are holding a warehouse sale at The Festival at Woodholme, in suite 150, and features discounts of 50% to 90% off original works, limited editions and prints.
- Feeling bikini ready? Head to Brightside Boutique in Fells Point on February 14th to shop Mandalynn swimwear and enjoy complimentary treats and champagne.
- From now through February 18th, all jewelry is 50% off at Misha & Co. in Green Spring Station.
- Don’t miss Fells Point’s monthly Ladies’ Night Out shop crawl, held on the third Thursday of each month. On February 19th, check in at The Admiral’s Cup to get started.
- From now through the end of February, visit Worthington Antiques to take advantage of their moving sale.
Everything’s coming up hearts and roses this week, as Valentine’s Day rapidly approaches. Whether your Valentine is a brand new beau, a longtime love or even a second grade charmer, Baltimore’s shops have plenty of gifts to help you let them know just how much you care. Check out these Valentine’s Week sales and events around the area:
- Halcyon House hosts the Julie Vos Jewelry trunk show today, February 7, from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Furniture and design shop Nouveau has moved from Belvedere Square back to its original neighborhood in the city. The store is now located in the former Chase Brexton Building, next to City Café. In its new – and newly renovated digs – Nouveau will offer a mix of furniture, accessories and giftware, both vintage and new.
- Get crafty with your kids, making Valentine’s for their classes using Paper Source’s Valentine’s Day kits – now available at In Watermelon Sugar in Hampden.
- In “celebration” of the groundhog seeing its shadow, JG Sassy’s Semi-Annual Winter Sale has been extended, with many 2014 dresses $75 and tops $50.
- The QG is offering a handful of Valentine’s Day packages, including massages, nail gift packages and gift cards, that include complimentary valet parking and a bouquet of flowers.
- All week long, shop in Harbor East and you may be on the receiving end of a #lovebomb. During this week of love, some Harbor East shoppers and diners will receive surprise gifts of chocolates, wine, gift cards and more.
- On Sunday, February 8th, start Valentine’s prep early at Kali’s Court Mezze Restaurant in Fells Point. Hosted by Rose Di Ferdinando of That’s So Rose, the event includes champagne and tapas, plus hair and makeup demonstrations and fashion and beauty vendors. Tickets are $40 and can be purchased online.
- Starting February 13th, Katwalk Boutique will hold a special even hosted by Mignon Reign, with special gifts from local skincare company Mitchell and Company.
- Even if you leave your shopping to the last minute, Godiva has you covered. The shop in Towson Town Center will open at 8 a.m. on Friday, February 13th and Saturday, February 14th.
This is the first post in a series about the designers creating clothing and accessories sold at Sassanova in Harbor East.
Since she was a young girl, Dallas-based jewelry designer Catherine Page has brimmed with creativity. Inspired by the beauty in ordinary objects, from headbands to pennies, her education in medieval art history, and by memories of her own life, Page uses natural stones and metals to create jewelry that adds dramatic, elaborate flair to even the simplest looks.
This weekend is the big game – but that only lasts a few hours, leaving plenty of time before and after to shop, shop, shop. Stores all over the region are wrapping up their winter sales, as they make room for new spring merchandise. So bundle up and brave the weather for deep discounts – and a glimpse of what’s to come when the weather gets warmer.
This week’s sales and events in and around Baltimore include:
- At Sassanova in Harbor East, new winter markdowns mean select styles are discounted as much as 70%.
- On Saturday, January 31st, catch the last day of Green Spring Station‘s annual Winter Sale, with sales of up to 75% off.
- On Saturday and Sunday, Su Casa’s floor model clearance includes sales of 15% to 75% on floor models at all locations.
- In Ruxton, JG Sassy’s Semi-Annual Sale is going strong with discounts throughout the store. Plus, check JG Sassy’s Facebook page frequently for announcements about additional flash sales, with deep discounts on specific merchandise.
- This is the last week of the winter sale at The Little Shoebox in Ruxton – which includes 50% off winter shoes and boots.
- Buy tickets for The QG’s annual Bourbon & Bowties fundraiser before February 1st and take advantage of a $25 discount. On Sunday, ticket prices for the event, which takes place at the Baltimore Museum of Industry and supports Health Care for the Homeless and the Semper Fi Fund, will jump from $75 to $100 per person.
- Let fashion inspire you at the first ever Wear It Out Baltimore Fashion & Film Series event, taking place at The Creative Alliance on Thursday, February 5th at 6 p.m. Organized by The Creative Alliance, Bonneau Caprece LLC and Foxxforo Studio, the premiere event “A Runway Salute to the Little Black Dress.” Choose your own attire carefully – there will be prizes for the chicest and edgiest LBDs in the audience.
- Starting February 5th, Panache in Green Spring Station will host a Nicole Miller trunk show.
- Don’t miss Hamdpen’s First Friday, this week on February 6th, when shops on and around The Avenue will feature discounts.
- Doubledutch Boutique is offering great vintage finds from Gogo’s Retread Threads this winter, while Gogo’s owner, Stacey, is on vacation.
- On February 6th, Halcyon House will host a cocktail reception to preview for the Julie Vos trunk show, which starts, officially, on February 7th.
Though winter sales – with their heavy discounts – are still raging, every day, new spring and resort clothes and accessories make their way to Baltimore’s shops. This week, check out these shops for the best deals from last season and the newest finds for spring:
- Happening now, Alice Jane‘s Half Off Half Yearly sale includes 50% discounts on great items from this past season.
- At Ma Petite Shoe, winter merchandise is 30%-50% off – including 50% of toasty scarves.
- At Cloud 9 Clothing stores throughout the city, winter clearance merchandise is 30%-50% off.
- On Saturday, January 24th, catch the tail end of Samuel Parker Clothier‘s last call After Christmas Sale.
- Shop the winter sale at L’Apparenza for discounts on all winter merchandise.
- At Poppy and Stella in Fells Point, daily deliveries of new shoes and accessories will help you get in the mood for springtime. And at Cupcake in Green Spring Station, customizable Resort/Spring accessories in fun colors will make spring feel even closer.
- Madewell fans should make their way to Harbor East this Tuesday, January 27th, for the grand opening of the store’s newest Baltimore location. Starting from the 10 a.m. opening, the first 25 customers will receive a Madewell gift card and from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., the shop will be buzzing with drinks, hors d’oeuvres and a DJ – and complimentary Bien Fait tote bags with purchases.
- Get a head start on Valentine’s Day at The Pleasure of Your Company, which now has a great selection of cards celebrating the season of love.