Today is the last day of our star writer and editor Rachel Monroe.
Rachel started at the Baltimore Fishbowl in April of 2011, planning and populating the website before we went live in May of 2011.
Tristan Davies, a professor who taught Rachel in The Writing Seminars at Johns Hopkins, recommended her to me. He told me she graduated from my alma mater, Pomona College, and upon hearing that news I was inclined to like Rachel. When I met her, I did. Humble, kind, intelligent, and humorous, she won me over immediately. Tristan described Rachel to me as a terrific writer, and her talent was evident from the moment she started. She created the voice and the tone that has been integral to the success of Baltimore Fishbowl, and we would not be the same without her.
In the five years that we have been online, Rachel has written nearly 3,000 posts and her stories have consistently been in the top ten each week. Of our top ten stories of all time, Rachel’s byline is on six of them! Rachel was adept at writing in-depth stories as well as funny asides, everything from an exploration of the Johns Hopkins med school admissions process, to Kate McKinnon’s Baltimore accent in her SNL “Sturdy Barbie” skit, and she made it all smart and funny! Her top ten of all time…
- Baltimore Feminists Prank Victoria’s Secret and Spark a Revolution – December 10, 2012
- An Inside Look at Johns Hopkins Med School Admissions – September 29, 2011
- Homesick for Baltimore? Order Baltimore In a Box – October 15, 2014
- SNL McKinnon Trying Her Best Baltimore Accent with Sturdy Barbie – February 8, 2016
- A Linguist Explains the Baltimore Accent (and Kathy Bates) – October 24, 2014
- Under Armour Plans to Create Its Own Neighborhood – March 3, 2015
- Baltimore’s Best Crab Cake (Via Blind Taste Test!) Is…– April 30, 2013
- Baltimore, Have You Been to “Hell House”? – March 6, 2015
- Hopkins Student Totally Stumps Rick Santorum on Gay Rights – April 16, 2013
- Crazy Tourists From Chicago Jump Into the Inner Harbor – July 18, 2016
(And I cannot help mention a few more in the top 20…Time for the Plague Again! It’s a Cicada Year for Maryland, Johns Hopkins Deals With An Identity Crisis, A Baltimore-Themed Dollhouse, Complete With Drugs, Guns, and Prostitutes…and more!)
When not writing and editing for the Baltimore Fishbowl, Rachel was freelancing for different online websites and print publications like Texas Monthly, The Guardian, Matter, The Oxford American and more. In June, she wrote a compelling profile of Kevin Plank for Bloomberg News. (See more on her website, rachel-monroe.com.) Her career is taking off, and it’s time for her to move on. When she writes her book (we will let you know!) buy it, and remember, you knew her when. Goodbye, Rachel. We will miss you in the fishbowl, and you’re always welcome to come back for a swim!
Latest posts by Susan Dunn (see all)
- Marion Winik will read from her new book at the Baltimore Book Festival this weekend - September 28, 2018
- Invitation to Baltimore Fishbowl Launch Party at Johnny’s, Sept. 17 - September 14, 2018
- The Insider: A Bolton Hill Masterpiece Mixes the Old and the New - August 30, 2018