Rash Field, better known as the field between Inner Harbor and Federal Hill where people play volleyball, looks to be in line for a makeover. Along with better bathrooms, city officials want to add space for bocce ball, outdoor fitness and potentially an outdoor cafe to the park.
On Monday, the Waterfront Partnership released a formal request for a firm to plan and design the upgrades. The Partnership said it was the first step in the renovation process. City leaders have long wanted to make the upgrades to the Field, which along with volleyball is host to a carousel and memorial to the Pride of Baltimore. A Baltimore Sun article from last year said proposals have surfaced four times over the last 20 years.
A 2012 plan called for “performances, sculptures and public gardens.” Past plans also called for an underground parking garage, which are nowhere to be found in this edition.
Under the general guidelines released Monday, beach volleyball would stay at the park. But the document calls for a number of changes and upgrades to the seven-acre outdoor space. The initial request also calls for demolition of the concrete berm that rings the area, and relocating the carousel and memorial.
Below are some of the things the Waterfront Partnership wants to make room for. Note that there’s no return of outdoor ice skating listed:
- Fitness space and outdoor exercise “equipment and uses,” such as a jogging track
- “Flexible space” for bocce ball, ping pong, et. al.
- Outdoor events space
- A “seasonal, locally owned and operated outdoor cafe”
- More shade
- Upgraded bathrooms
Bids are due by Sept. 7.
- Station North has a new spot for food, music, and arcade games - January 10, 2020
- Baltimost: Brittany Young - October 8, 2019
- Public safety alert app Citizen launches in Baltimore - February 13, 2019