AACo. Native Tina Frost, Severely Wounded in Vegas Massacre, Now Able to Walk Unassisted

Share the News

Tina Frost (right) and her mother. Photo via Anne Arundel County Public Schools.

Anne Arundel County native Tina Frost is well on her way to recovery five weeks after losing her right eye in the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history.

Frost, a 2008 graduate of Arundel High School, was transferred to the care of doctors at Hopkins Hospital late last month, weeks after being wounded in a massacre at the Route 91 Harvest music festival in Las Vegas that left 58 dead and nearly 550 others wounded. She was transported from Nevada to Baltimore in October after she awoke from a coma.

This past weekend, her family posted an update on Frost’s GoFundMe recovery fundraiser page saying she has now “baked cookies, kicked and thrown a 5 inch rubber ball, walked the halls without assistance, spoken more and more words and can eat her very modified diet on her own.” She also painted an eyepatch for herself, they said.

To get to her current state, the 27-year-old accountant needed two surgeries, one of which took six hours. A third one was considered last month, but doctors said the tissue around Frost’s eye looked healthy and infection-free roughly a week after her previous operation.

Frost is now working on regaining her facilities through speech, occupational and physical therapy, her family said. A team of doctors will determine when she must undergo a third operation, though it should be “tentatively in a few weeks,” according to an update on the page.

The public rallied around Frost in the aftermath of the Vegas massacre. Her family originally sought to raise $50,000 online to help compensate for her medical bills, time off to travel and be with her in Las Vegas and other associated costs. GoFundMe visitors wound up contributing nearly 12 times that total, with $593,000 raised to date.

Her story made national headlines, with CNN and ABC covering her long road ahead to recovery. The Las Vegas Review Journal has also spotlighted her journey in the weeks since the massacre.

Frost was recently moved the ICU to the 12th floor of Hopkins Hospital, her family said. Aside from family and close friends, they’re not taking visitors just yet.

Ethan McLeod
Follow Ethan

Share the News