A Baltimore man accused of robbing or attempting to hold up eight Subway and Dunkin’ Donuts locations across the city at gunpoint has been indicted on federal robbery charges.
Antonio Johnson, 49, faces 10 counts of Hobbs Act robbery, according to a copy of his indictment. The document alleges Johnson kicked off his spree on Jan. 23, robbing a Subway in Baltimore Highlands, then robbed Subway locations at gunpoint in Highlandtown (twice), downtown (twice) and Old Goucher (once) through Feb. 12. Along the way, he allegedly also robbed a Dunkin’ Donuts in Middle East on Feb. 7 and another in Station North on Feb. 10.
Hobbs Act charges apply for cases of “actual or attempted robbery or extortion affecting interstate or foreign commerce ‘in any way or degree,’” according to the U.S. Department of Justice. The Hobbs Act originally targeted extortion and racketeering enterprises, but was expanded by court rulings over time to encompass more types of violent crimes involving robbery.
Johnson faces up to 20 years in prison, according to a DOJ release.
Baltimore police previously said they worked with the FBI’s Baltimore Violent Crimes Task Force to track down Johnson, and the he confessed while in custody. During that search, the department released surveillance footage of two of the robbery incidents, including one in which the robber was scared off by a customer at the Middle East Subway location.
Latest posts by Ethan McLeod (see all)
- Tuesday Afternoon Headlines: Esskay dogs disappearing from Camden Yards; Water, heat issues close handful of city schools; and more - January 22, 2019
- Bill to fund Affordable Housing Trust—with corrected language—coming next week, councilman says - January 22, 2019
- After years of high-profile water billing errors, DPW will get independent review of billing process - January 22, 2019