Kenndy Krieger, SARC and a children’s foundation are the beneficiaries of Liberty Mutual‘s “Like My Community Project,” a Facebook-based campaign to award grants to area non-profits. Baltimore residents supported the causes by casting more than 42,000 votes on Facebook and through mobile texts.
The three top-voted causes, Believe in Tomorrow Children’s Foundation, Kennedy Krieger Institute and SARC (Safety, Awareness, Resources, Change), each received $30,000 from Liberty Mutual Insurance, with Believe in Tomorrow Children’s Foundation and Kennedy Krieger Institute earning additional funds ($4,000 and $1,000, respectively) for generating the most votes on incentive days during the campaign.
Through Like My Community, local Liberty Mutual Insurance branch offices nominated the six area causes and asked local residents to vote for their favorite from June 25 through August 20. This marks the second year Liberty Mutual Insurance has hosted the Like My Community Project in Baltimore. (The campaign also takes place in the Milwaukee and Dallas-Fort Worth.) Over the last two years, the Like My Community Project has contributed more than $600,000 to more than 40 local non-profit causes in these cities.
Here’s how the winning non-profits plan to use the awards:
- Believe in Tomorrow’s Children Foundation: The $34,000 will support kitchen renovations for families at the Believe In Tomorrow Children’s House at Johns Hopkins Children’s Center. The center provides more than 2,000 monthly accommodations to families of children receiving treatment. The money will also fund an elevator for children and families staying at the Believe In Tomorrow House By The Sea, one of the group’s beach respite facilities located in Ocean City.
- Kennedy Krieger Institute: The organization will use the $31,000 to help children with special needs find loving foster homes, play adaptive sports and receive free legal services.
- SARC (Safety, Awareness, Resources, Change): The organization will use the $30,000 to help provide victims of domestic violence, sexual violence, stalking, and child abuse with crisis intervention services, counseling for children and adults, legal representation and advocacy, and a safe place to lay their heads while they work to heal.
- Towson restaurant Cunningham’s to change restaurant concept, expand cafe - January 6, 2020
- True Chesapeake Oyster Co. Opens - October 9, 2019
- BUILD Calls on Corporate and Civic Sectors for a Radical Vision and Collective Leadership - April 8, 2019