The firm run by the same pollster who predicted Larry Hogan’s and Donald Trump’s respective election wins in 2014 and 2016 has some new data showing how Marylanders feel about both leaders.
For Hogan, the numbers are unsurprisingly good for a Republican governor who’s already relatively well-liked by both parties. Gonzales Research found 74 percent of Maryland voters approve of Hogan’s job as governor. That’s up four points from a poll by the same firm 10 months ago, according to WBAL.
Trump, meanwhile, has started off on poor footing with Maryland, earning himself a 30 percent “favorable” rating and a 56 percent “unfavorable” rating. The latter figure isn’t far off from the rest of the country, according to Pew Research.
The president-elect does have plenty of room to improve, since roughly 14 percent of the surveyed voters said they have no opinion on him. Maybe if he meets Hogan and Pugh halfway on their requests for transportation infrastructure funding, those voters might rethink their views.
To get these numbers, Gonzales Research surveyed 823 registered voters by phone from mid-December through this past Monday,
Some other handy findings from the poll:
- Seven-in-10 Maryland voters support medical marijuana legalization (which is a good thing since that already happened four years ago);
- Nearly two-thirds of voters disfavor legalization of sports gambling;
- Two-in-five voters say the state’s deadly heroin epidemic has harmed someone they know in the last five years.
Click here to read the full breakdowns by political party, age, geography and strength of opinion.
Latest posts by Ethan McLeod (see all)
- Friday Morning Headlines: Monitor says BPD’s dysfunction will prolong reforms; Hogan unveils his proposed budget; and more - January 18, 2019
- Thursday Afternoon Headlines: One to two inches of snow expected for metro area; A list of Pugh’s campaign donors 16 months out from primary; and more - January 17, 2019
- DPW employee installed pirating software, apps to view porn on city computer - January 17, 2019