Orioles outfielder Trey Mancini, who last week left spring training for a “non-baseball” medical procedure, had surgery today to remove a malignant tumor from his colon today, the team announced.
The tumor was discovered during a colonoscopy last week. Test results from the tumor and a timetable for Mancini’s recovery will not be known until next week, the team said.
“The outpouring of love and support I have received has made an extremely tough week so much better,” Mancini said in a statement. “I have the best family, friends, fans, and teammates imaginable. I am also eternally thankful for the Orioles front office, our athletic trainers, and the entire medical staff for everything they have done to help me during this time. Finally, I would like to thank everyone for their prayers and kind words, which have furthered my excitement to get back to playing the game I love.”
Mancini, who plays as a corner outfielder, first baseman and designated hitter, has become the face of the franchise for the young, rebuilding Orioles organization. Drafted out of Notre Dame in 2013, Mancini homered in his major league debut during a September call-up in 2016.
He established himself as an everyday player in 2017, hitting .293 with 24 home runs and 78 RBI and finishing third in the Rookie of the Year voting.
After a sophomore slump in 2018, Mancini bounced back last year on a young squad as one of the bright spots on a club that struggled to a 54-108 record. He hit .291 with 35 home runs and 97 RBI.
The team said Mancini and his family appreciate fans respecting his privacy.
“We are doing everything in our power to ensure Trey recovers fully, and we can’t wait to see him back on the field as soon as possible,” Orioles Executive Vice President and General Manager Mike Elias said in a statement.
Amid concerns over coronavirus, Major League Baseball today suspended spring training games and delayed the start of the regular season by at least two weeks.
In a statement, the Orioles said the organization supported the decision.
“The health and safety of our players, fans, staff, and partners will always be our top priority. We will communicate additional details, including information about refunds, directly to fans when they become available, as this is a rapidly-evolving situation. We encourage everyone to continue to follow the important guidelines established by the CDC and other public health organizations.”
- Chef Bledsoe is leaving Miss Shirley’s Cafe to helm Towson restaurant group - May 28, 2020
- Wednesday Afternoon Headlines: Mayoral candidates focus on crime; police ID man wanted in connection with officer shooting and more - May 27, 2020
- Baltimore Museum of Art announces three initiatives to support local artists - May 27, 2020