A 1661 land grant property from Lord Baltimore, Cecil Calvert. Three hundred and sixty-eight tillable acres, waterfowl impoundments, miles of river frontage and stables, brick Georgian manor house built in 1920 and extensively modernized, with 11 bedrooms, five full and three half baths: $11,300,000
What: Augustine Herman, noted Czech cartographer, was deeded this property by Lord Baltimore in exchange for creating the first map of the entire Chesapeake Bay coastline. It was part of a larger parcel that included most of the Delmarva Peninsula, and he named it after his homeland of Prague, Kingdom of Bohemia. Herman’s grave is on the property. The farm stayed in the family (Bayard) for many generations, and figures prominently in Maryland history. In 2003 it went out of the family for the first time in 350 years, to Shane Flynn, former vice chairman of MBNA.