It’s that time of year again when Johns Hopkins announces the featured speakers for its annual MSE Symposium and–as always–they’ve lined up an amazing slate of accomplished folks from many different walks of life.
- Lauren Bush Lauren, a fashion model/designer and member of two highly prominent families, is also an activist and the founder of FEED, a company that provides hunger relief through selling fashionable handbags. She speaks at 6 PM on September 24.
- D. Watkins, the celebrated Baltimore writer (and occasional Fishbowl contributor) tells moving, bracing stories about growing up in Baltimore. Watkins’s lecture is entitled “Baltimore Uprising: The People’s Perspective,” and takes place at 7 PM on October 7.
- Joe Lieberman ran for vice-president in 2000; he also spent more than a decade in the U.S. Senate. His lecture, “What Can We Expect from Washington This Year?,” takes place at 8 PM on October 21.
- Alan Dershowitz has defended everyone from Mike Tyson to Claus von Bulow; he’s also a leading voice on issues from civil liberties (he’s a strong supporter) to pornography (he’s against censorship) to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict (he’s pro-Israel). His lecture is entitled “Global Perspectives on Justice and Civil Liberties,” and takes place at 8 PM on November 10.
- Ava Duvernay is the acclaimed director of Selma, and became the first black female director to be nominated for a Golden Globe for her work on that film. Her lecture is scheduled for 8 PM on November 17.
- Josh Ostrovsky, the comedian also known as “The Fat Jew,” has 5.9 million Instagram followers and a controversial reputation for stealing jokes. He speaks at 8 PM on December 1.
All events take place in Shriver Hall on JHU’s Homewood campus and are free and open to the public.
Latest posts by Rachel Monroe (see all)
- The Effect of a Dilapidated Home on a Baltimore Block - September 19, 2017
- The Ku Klux Klan Is Apparently Still Alive and Well in Maryland - August 24, 2017
- Baltimore May Be Getting a Professional Soccer Team - September 16, 2016