Using three-dimensional replicas of the iconic sculptureThe Thinker as its inspiration, The Baltimore Museum of Art it is partnering with Owings Mills-based Direct Dimensions to launch a Big Thinker promotion at Artscape this weekend with three activities:
- BMA Biggest Thinkers —Tell your best memories, biggest ideas, and burning questions at the booth or at blog.artbma.org. In appreciation, the top 100 participants will receive a mini replica of The Thinker created from Direct Dimensions’ high-resolution scan of the BMA’s sculpture.
- Thinker Scavenger Hunt—Search for any or all of the five 9-inch 3D replicas of The Thinker placed around the festival, take your photo with it, and post it on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram with #bmabigthinker for a chance to win a high-resolution bust of yourself created by Direct Dimensions. The winner will be announced Monday, July 21.
- Free 3D Face Scanning —Stop by the BMA booth located on the plaza next to MICA’s Brown Center to receive a free 3D face scan from Direct Dimensions with the option to purchase your likeness as a 3D selfie, Lego piece, bracelet charm, mug or other products from ShapeShot.com.
The BMA has one of only 21 authorized “heroic” sized casts of The Thinker by Auguste Rodin in the world. The 6-foot, 6-inch sculpture was presented to the museum in 1930 by Jacob Epstein, a collector and member of the first Board of Trustees, and displayed in front of the entrance to the John Russell Pope building until 1971 when it was moved inside for conservation. Though originally intended to represent the poet Dante, The Thinker has become a symbol for thinkers and creators around the world.
The BMA is commemorating its 100th anniversary through a series of events and activities for 100 days beginning September 23, 2014. Highlights include the East Wing Reopening Celebration in late September/early October, BMA 100 Gala and After Party on November 15, and the BMA 100 Celebration & Grand Reopening of the American Wing on November 23. The East Wing and American Wing reopenings are major milestones of the museum’s $28 million phased renovation that debuted with the Contemporary Wing reopening in 2012. More information about BMA 100 and renovation is available online.
Direct Dimensions, Inc. is one of the world’s leading authorities on the application of 3D scanning technology. Founded in 1995, they are now frequently sought after by Hollywood movie studios to create uncanny likenesses of actors hurtled into danger and other special effects for The Amazing Spiderman 2 and other films. Direct Dimensions also provides 3D laser scanning, reverse engineering, and digital modeling services, products, and training for a wide number of industries, including art and architecture, military and aerospace, medical, and industrial and consumer products.
Artscape, America’s largest free arts festival, takes place in the Mt. Royal area of Baltimore City from Friday, July 18 through Sunday, July 20, and includes a variety of live music; theater, dance, and opera performances; classical, a cappella, and experimental music; street theater, fine art and crafts; film; and children’s activities. It is presented by Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake and produced by the Baltimore Office of Promotion & The Arts.
ABOUT THE BALTIMORE MUSEUM OF ART
Founded in 1914, the BMA is home to an internationally renowned collection of 19th-century, modern, and contemporary art. Among its 90,000 objects is the largest holding of works by Henri Matisse in the world; European and American fine and decorative arts and textiles; prints and drawings from the 15th-century to the present; works by established and emerging contemporary artists; objects from Africa, Asia, the Ancient Americas, and Pacific Islands; and two beautifully landscaped sculpture gardens. Since 2006, the BMA has eliminated general admission fees so that everyone can enjoy the power of art.
Latest posts by Edited from Press Release (see all)
- True Chesapeake Oyster Co. Opens - October 9, 2019
- BUILD Calls on Corporate and Civic Sectors for a Radical Vision and Collective Leadership - April 8, 2019
- The League for People with Disabilities Hosts FREE Family Fun Art Festival on 8/18 - August 9, 2018