Bryn Mawr’s Carey Quadrangle looks like the perfect oasis for sitting under a tree and losing oneself in a good book, or even a textbook. That’s probably what M. Carey Thomas, one of the founders of the Bryn Mawr School, would have thought had she been alive to witness the quadrangle as it was dedicated to the Carey Family and the W.P. Carey Foundation on May 8, 2013.
Thomas, a nineteenth century pioneer in women’s education, believed that girls deserved the same educational opportunities as boys. Though the abundance of all-girls’ schools in Baltimore today makes it hard to imagine, Thomas’s view was fairly radical for her day. Her vision helped found Bryn Mawr, the first college-preparatory school for girls in Baltimore, in 1885.
Just as Bryn Mawr continues to educate girls in the same spirit upon which it was founded by Thomas and others, The Carey family has sustained its support of the school. Four generations of Carey women attended Bryn Mawr. Recently, the W.P. Carey Foundation bestowed a $1.5 million gift to Bryn Mawr’s endowment.
“The Carey Family influence on Bryn Mawr has been truly exceptional,” said Headmistress Maureen E. Walsh in a press release. “Beginning with M. Carey Thomas, the Carey Family has consistently shown their generosity and dedication to Bryn Mawr and to our mission of educating girls. We are proud to name the Carey Quadrangle in honor of their remarkable contributions.”
Latest posts by Elizabeth Heubeck (see all)
- Coppermine Fieldhouse Continues Expansion with Renovation of former Northwest Ice Rink - January 17, 2018
- Big Fish: Gubernatorial Candidate and Baltimore County Executive Kevin Kamenetz - October 24, 2017
- High Schoolers Hit Snooze Button This School Year - August 30, 2017