Hopefully you’re free this Saturday morning as we have the perfect activity for your entire family. Join the The Family Tree’s FamFest on October 1 from 9:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at the Weinberg Y in Waverly. The Brent A. Rosenberg FamFest will be a special fair of fun mixed with purpose.
Research shows that a key to building a healthy family is to eat, play and read together daily. FamFest will encourage those activities with football, lacrosse and golf clinics, kid’s cooking classes, a LEGO play zone, dancing, music, plus a one and three mile walk. After some serious snacks, make sure you grab a free kid’s backpack stuffed with children’s books. Join The Family Tree and raise up families together.
Family Tree’s Programs Work
Did you know that an estimated 150,000, or ten percent, of Maryland’s children are neglected or abused each year? The Family Tree is the only state-wide non-profit tasked with preventing child neglect and abuse. The good news is that The Family Tree programs work – child abuse and neglect can be prevented.
For stressed-out parents who need advice immediately, The Family Tree’s 24-hour HelpLine 800-243-7337 is answered by trained and supportive experts. HelpLine staff can also connect caregivers with available services. Ninety-seven percent of HelpLine callers report feeling less stressed and more competent in addressing their issue after calling the parenting line.
For families in crisis, the Family Tree’s most popular and comprehensive program is Parenting for Success. Designed for those seeking support in a broad range of parenting and child-rearing skills, the free ten-week course helps parents in the areas of discipline, communication, and behavior management. Going back-to-school works. Ninety-four percent of families who complete Parenting for Success keep their families intact, and 84 percent are not referred to Child Protective Services again. The Family Tree also offers In-Home Visitation and many support groups.
Join the fun at FamFest
There’s something for everyone at FamFest. The Family Tree has partnered with many of Baltimore’s premier non-profits and groups to make the festival fun and educational.
- Join the scenic one and three-mile walks around the Weinberg Y and Lake Montebello.
- Get Sporty on the Weinberg Y’s huge sports field with,
- Kid’s football clinics led by Raven’s Assistant General Manager Eric DeCosta and the Raven’s team scouts.
- Get in on Baltimore’s most popular sport at the lacrosse clinics.
- Hit the links and join a golf clinic taught by Baltimore’s The First Tee.
- Hula hoop with Baltimore Hoop Love.
- Play field games led by Playworks.
- Create mosaic artwork with Art with a Heart.
- Learn bike safety with Bikemore.
- Click and create at the Bricks To You LEGO play zone.
Have picky-eaters? Wonder what foods are secretly loaded with sugars and fats? Healthy Little Cooks and the American Heart Association’s Simple Cooking with Heart will host live cooking demos and classes to help parents with the age-old challenge of cooking healthier foods that kids will actually eat.
See you on Saturday, October 1 from 9:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at the Weinberg Y in Waverly, 900 East 33rd Street, Baltimore, MD 21218. There’s plenty of parking. To register, visit familytreemd.org or call 410.889.2300.
- A local’s guide to composting your next event’s food waste and trash - September 27, 2019
- Greenlaurel: Baltimore reservoirs’ Public Enemy No. 1—the Zebra mussel - April 4, 2019
- GreenLaurel: Will rain levels ever go back to normal? - October 9, 2018