The hunt is on to capture an elusive crab through a new augmented reality game as Old Bay encourages Marylanders to visit and support Baltimore businesses and venues.
The spice brand, part of the McCormick company, is hosting “The Great OLD BAY Crab Hunt” from now until Aug. 2.
Residents can visit participating restaurants, businesses, museums and venues, where they can scan a special QR code to join the Pokémon Go-style scavenger hunt. Using augmented reality, they will have to find a hidden crab.
Players who succeed in finding the crab will be entered to win prizes from Old Bay and its partners, including a grand prize Old Bay electric scooter and helmet. Other prizes include a slip ‘n slide, a soft cooler, tote bags, can koozies, and gift cards.
The game is an effort to “drive fans, in a safe way, to places that would benefit local restaurants and venues from the extra foot traffic after a difficult year,” Old Bay officials said.
Participating locations include:
- American Visionary Art Museum
- Cheese Galore
- Cindy Lou’s Fish House
- Courtyard Baltimore Downtown
- Baltimore Center Stage
- Baltimore Museum of Industry
- Ekiben (all locations)
- Flowers & Fancies
- Hilton Garden Inn & Homewood Suites Baltimore Inner Harbor
- Jimmy’s Seafood
- Maryland Science Center
- Maryland Zoo
- Nalley Fresh (all locations)
- Port Discovery
- Towson Hot Bagels (all locations)
- Tru by Hilton
- Union Collective
- Waterfront Partnership / Mr. Trash Wheel
Old Bay officials said residents should check in regularly to learn about any new locations that are added to the hunt.
- Tuesday Afternoon Headlines: Nike releases Old Bay-inspired shoes; Controversial crematorium request gets zoning board approval; and more - October 19, 2021
- Tuesday Morning Headlines: Biden to participate in Baltimore town hall Thursday; Proposed legislation seeks to reduce witness intimidation; and more - October 19, 2021
- Looking to sell a haunted doll? Or a birthday cake (any condition)? In Baltimore, there’s an anonymous buyer. - October 18, 2021