The Maryland State Highway Administration (SHA) is entering the final phase of the I-695 (Baltimore Beltway) / MD 139 (Charles Street) bridge replacement and interchange reconstruction project in Lutherville.
Beginning 7 p.m. Friday night, June 8, crews will remove the existing roundabout at the intersection of Charles Street and Bellona Avenue; activate two new traffic signals, one at the former roundabout location and the other at the ramp from the outer loop of I-695 to Charles Street; open the new ramp from Bellona Avenue Extended (Lutherville side) to the outer loop of I-695 and northbound I-83 (Baltimore-Harrisburg Expressway).
The Charles Street Bridge and interchange will remain open during the weekend traffic shift; however, the bridge will be reduced to one lane in each direction, and the right-turn loop ramp from northbound Charles Street to westbound I-695 (Outer Loop) will be closed until 5 a.m. Monday, June 11. All motorists traveling from northbound Charles Street to westbound I-695 will be directed to stay left, go through the roundabout area and use the exit ramp on Bellona Avenue Extended.
SHA advises motorists traveling to and from the Charles Street interchange area to plan ahead for extra travel time and look ahead for Maryland State Police, flagpersons, and construction personnel and equipment in the interchange work zone. SHA advises motorists traveling from I-695 to downtown Towson or the Lutherville area east of Charles Street (MD 45) to use the York Road interchange at I-695 (Exit 26) this weekend.
As of 5 a.m. Monday, June 11, new traffic patterns will be in effect at the interchange:
1) A new traffic signal will control traffic flow at the new intersection replacing the Charles Street/Bellona Avenue/Bellona Avenue Extended roundabout;
2) A new ramp at the new Charles Street/Bellona Avenue/Bellona Avenue Extended intersection to westbound I-695 and northbound I-83 will be open to traffic;
3) The ramp from Bellona Avenue Extended to westbound I-695 and northbound I-83 will be closed and Bellona Avenue Extended will remain open as a two-way road for local business access only;
4) A new signal will be fully activated at the ramp from westbound I-695 (Outer Loop) to Charles Street (currently in flashing mode).
In case of inclement weather, the traffic pattern changes will take place the weekend of June 15.
The new interchange ramp and traffic signal system activation are part of SHA’s $43.6 million Charles Street Interchange project, which began winter 2009 and will be complete summer 2012, weather permitting. The State’s contractor for the I-695/Charles Street Interchange project is the Six-M Company of Delta, Pa.
Those who have questions about the Charles Street Interchange project may contact SHA’s project field office at 410-296-9041, toll-free at 1-866-998-0367 or by email at [email protected]. For more information about the Charles Street Interchange project, citizens may view lane closure updates, interchange diagrams, and other information on the SHA project web page on www.roads.maryland.gov under “Projects & Studies.”
Latest posts by Edited from Press Release (see all)
- BUILD Calls on Corporate and Civic Sectors for a Radical Vision and Collective Leadership - April 8, 2019
- The League for People with Disabilities Hosts FREE Family Fun Art Festival on 8/18 - August 9, 2018
- Three Baltimore Design School Students Win Summer Scholarships in ‘Open Tank’ Makers Competition at Open Works - July 3, 2018