Baltimore County Courthouse Evacuated Thursday Morning Due to Gas Leak

0
Share the News


Courtesy of Baltimore County Fire Dept.
Courtesy of Baltimore County Fire Dept.

A mistake made by some utility workers this morning in Towson led authorities to evacuate the Baltimore County Circuit Courthouse.

The leak occurred just before 10 a.m. when Baltimore Gas and Electric (BGE) workers on W. Chesapeake Avenue on the west side of the building accidentally split a gas main. The county fire department instructed everyone inside to leave the courthouse and police shut down a quarter-mile stretch of Bosley Avenue while the fire department investigated.

The department was able to test the air inside for leaked gas and a spokesperson declared it to be safe just after 9:30 a.m. However, a county police spokesperson said the courthouse had already decided to close the building until 1:30 p.m. to be safe, so officials, staff and anyone else there for hearings or other business did not return for several more hours.

BGE said they expected to fix the broken main within several hours. The northbound side of the road stayed closed while crews were working.

Ethan McLeod
Follow Ethan

Ethan McLeod

Senior Editor at Baltimore Fishbowl
Ethan has been editing and reporting for Baltimore Fishbowl since fall of 2016. His previous stops include Fox 45, CQ Researcher and Connection Newspapers in Northern Virginia. His freelance writing has been featured in Baltimore City Paper, Leafly, DCist and BmoreArt, among other outlets. He enjoys basketball, humid Mid-Atlantic summers and story tips.
Ethan McLeod
Follow Ethan


Share the News