
One of the more upbeat events during the COVID-19 pandemic in Baltimore is returning for an encore.
The Downtown Partnership announced today that it is bringing back The Charles Street Promenade on Saturday, May 22.

From 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., most of Charles Street will be closed to vehicle traffic from Saratoga Street to North Avenue, so it can turn into a pedestrian boulevard for outdoor shopping, dining and strolling, and businesses along the corridor can benefit from the increased foot traffic. The first one, last October 17, drew hundreds of participants eager to take over the street.
โLast Octoberโs Charles Street Promenade was so successful with the public that, in surveys, the majority of respondents wanted to see the event happen every month,โ Partnership leaders said in a statement announcing the event.
โLike the October event, the May Promenade is designed to do two important things,โ the planners said. โFirst, it will benefit the many small and independent shops and restaurants that line Charles Street that are still hurting from last yearโs COVID shutdowns. Second, it will help Baltimoreans change the way we think about public space by creating a better balance between people and automobiles, even if just for one day.โ
In addition to the Downtown Partnership, organizers include the City of Baltimore; the Central Baltimore Partnership; Charles Street Development; Guppy Management; the Midtown Community Benefits District; the Mount Vernon Belvedere Association and the Mount Vernon Place Conservancy.
During the event, all current Baltimore City COVID guidelines about masking and social distancing will be in effect. A list of participating businesses and other information about the Promenade is available at www.CharlesStreetPromenade.com

I like the rebalance of people to cars but the fact remains that most people do not want to walk to far from their vehicle.