The head of Visit Baltimore is leaving for Texas. Tom Noonan, who started as Visit Baltimore’s CEO in 2007, is set to take the top job with the convention and visitors’ bureau in Austin.
According to a press release, Noonan has resigned, and is set to begin his new post on May 6. Visit Baltimore plans to conduct a nationwide search for a new leader, with COO Ron Melton heading the organization in the interim.
It will mark a return to his home state, as well as his initial CVB leadership experience. He was president of the Dallas Convention and Visitors Bureau for 18 years prior to coming to Baltimore.
“It is a bittersweet moment for me and my family as we leave Baltimore to return home to Texas,” Noonan said in a statement. “The Mid-Atlantic has become a second home for me and I am proud of what the team at Visit Baltimore has accomplished, especially in this last year. I am confident that the team will continue in their efforts to make Baltimore a premier leisure and meetings destination.”
Recently, Noonan presided over a record for conventions held in Baltimore with 30 in 2015. He and Visit Baltimore were also key early supporters of Light City. The release also points to the following accomplishments during his tenure:
- Six years of record-setting hotel room sales from 2009-2014 (450,000-525,000 future room nights annually)
- Renovation of the Baltimore Visitors Center
- Forming Synchronicities, a partnership with CVB’s in Anaheim/Orange County, Calif., and San Antonio, Texas.
- Locking up conventions like the 2016 National Urban League Annual Conference and the 2017 NAACP National Convention
“The convention and tourism industry is a key economic driver for Baltimore and under Tom’s leadership both have grown significantly,” Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake said in a statement.
Latest posts by Stephen Babcock (see all)
- Public safety alert app Citizen launches in Baltimore - February 13, 2019
- Baltimore releases interactive map showing sewage overflows - January 28, 2019
- Weekend Events Calendar: Maryland State Fair, Maryland Renaissance Festival, Vegan SoulFest, Dog Days of Summer - August 23, 2018