Maryland total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases surpasses 500, approaches 600

0
Share the News


This is a picture of CDC’s laboratory test kit for severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). CDC tests are provided to U.S. state and local public health laboratories, Department of Defense (DOD) laboratories and select international laboratories. Photo courtesy of CDC.

The total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases jumped to 580, with 157 new confirmed cases reported Thursday morning, marking “by far the largest one-day increase to date,” Gov. Larry Hogan said.

Maryland’s confirmed cases increased by 37 percent from Wednesday to Thursday.

Maryland has surpassed 500 confirmed coronavirus cases and is nearing 600 confirmed cases, just a day after crossing the 400-case mark on Wednesday. A day before that, the state surpassed 300 confirmed cases on Tuesday.

“This battle is going to be much harder, take much longer, and be much worse than almost anyone comprehends,” Hogan said in a statement. “We have never faced anything like this ever before, and I continue to urge the people of our state to stay in place at home and stay safe.”

Hogan called for unity as the state works to curtail the spread of the new coronavirus.

“I want Marylanders to know that if we continue to lead and work together—if we rely on and help each other—together we will get through this crisis,” he said.

As of 10 a.m. Thursday, there have been 164 confirmed cases in Montgomery County; 101 in Prince George’s County; 81 in Baltimore County; 72 in Baltimore City; 49 in Howard County; 41 in Anne Arundel County; 14 in Frederick County; 10 in Charles County; nine in Harford County; seven each in Calvert and Carroll counties; five in Wicomico county; four each in Cecil and St. Mary’s counties; three in Garrett County; two each in Washington and Worcester counties; one each in Caroline, Kent, Queen Anne’s, Somerset and Talbot counties, according to the Maryland Department of Health’s Maryland COVID-19 Case Map Dashboard.

Allegany and Dorchester counties are the only two jurisdictions in Maryland that have not yet reported any confirmed cases of COVID-19.

Of the state’s total, 132 people who tested positive for COVID-19 were hospitalized at some point, while 23 were released from isolation.

A total of four Marylanders have died from COVID-19, including two different Prince George’s County men, both in their 60s; a Baltimore County man in his 60s; and a Montgomery County woman in her 40s.

All four Marylanders who have died from COVID-19 had underlying medical conditions.

Of Maryland’s confirmed cases, 461 have been people between the ages of 18 and 64; 113 have been people age 65 and older; and six have been people younger than 18.

Maryland has identified 282 of the confirmed COVID-19 patients as female and 298 as male.

Nationwide, there have been at least 69,197 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the United States, including at least 1,046 deaths and 619 recoveries, as of 10 a.m. Thursday, according to a real-time dashboard created by Johns Hopkins University’s Center for Systems Science and Engineering.

The United States ranks third behind China and Italy for total number of confirmed cases per country, according to the Johns Hopkins dashboard.

State Schools Superintendent Karen Salmon announced Wednesday that all Maryland public schools will remain closed for at least an additional four weeks, through April 24, as the state attempts to limit the spread of COVID-19. Salmon had previously closed schools for two weeks, through the end of this week.

Salmon said state school personnel are working with local school systems to “resume the continuity of learning” with at-home education next week.

Gov. Larry Hogan on Wednesday announced additional actions in response to the coronavirus pandemic, including increasing the number of available hospital beds and recruiting healthcare workers and other professionals–including medical and nursing students–to assist with the state’s efforts.

Mayor Bernard C. “Jack” Young also released a COVID-19 emergency response plan on Wednesday to mitigate the effects of the new coronavirus on people experiencing homelessness.

The plan includes provisions for transporting individuals suspected of having COVID-19 to an isolation site for testing, and discharging patients based on whether they are suspected or confirmed to have COVID-19.

Marcus Dieterle


Share the News