In the span of just over two months, Michael Phelps has gone from being unmarried in the public eye to having tied the knot three separate times.
Apparently, once twice wasn’t enough. The magazine BRIDES says he and his wife, formerly Nicole Johnson but now Nicole Phelps, had a ritzy New Year’s Eve wedding and reception in Arizona at a fancy resort that channeled a 1920’s “Great Gatbsy” theme. They apparently decided to host it so that even more of their closest friends and family who didn’t mark the other two ceremonies could attend.
Some highlights: They had glittery tablecloths, a vintage champagne cart, a slow-mo video and photo booth, a six-tier, Art Deco-inspired cake and tons of food ranging from Bulgogi short rib tacos to grilled-cheese sandwiches served all night.
Here’s a recap of 2016 in Phelps family weddings:
- June 13, 2016 – Michael and Nicole Phelps get married in their backyard in Tempe, Ariz., before the Olympics. Around five people show up.
- Oct. 29, 2016 – Michael and Nicole Phelps get married again in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, a couple days after the news broke of their June wedding. This time, around 50 people show up.
- Dec. 31, 2016 – Michael and Nicole Phelps get married again in Phoenix at the Arizona Biltmore Hotel. (Attendance for that one still unknown.)
In reality, 2016 was Michael Phelps’ year. He shattered the record for most gold medals, had a baby son named Boomer, married his fiancée, formerly Miss California USA, signed a deal for free mattresses, made an epic, award-winning commercial and officially (?) retired. So what if he wants to do a few victory laps in the form of extravagant weddings?
A big thanks to Brides and TMZ for keeping everyone in the loop.
Latest posts by Ethan McLeod (see all)
- Friday Afternoon Headlines: City didn’t follow through on E. 26th Street inspections; Pugh touts drops in crime in WaPo op-ed; and more - January 18, 2019
- Nepenthe Brewing Co.’s experimental beers and innovative pub food are just days away - January 18, 2019
- Friday Morning Headlines: Monitor says BPD’s dysfunction will prolong reforms; Hogan unveils his proposed budget; and more - January 18, 2019