The other day I received my BGE Connections e-newsletter and readied my index finger to delete it, but then my eyes fell on a quick list of energy-saving (and money-saving) tips for summer cooling, so I saved the information for a sec. As straightforward as they sound, I think the bullet points are worth reminding ourselves as we ready our index fingers to push AC units “on” and slide central air dials ever downward in coming weeks. Take a quick, cool refresher course in summer power efficiency! (After the jump, three more smart suggestions!)
- Close blinds during the day to keep the sun from heating up your home.
- Schedule a cooling system tune up to keep your central air conditioner running efficiently.
- Adjust your thermostat up to 78°F. Every degree makes a difference in your cooling costs.
- Use fans to circulate the air. They can make your home feel up to five degrees cooler.
- Seal leaks in your air conditioning ductwork to prevent cool air from escaping.
- Add insulation to make your home more energy efficient throughout the year.
Latest posts by B. Boyd (see all)
- Kids’ Singer Goodman-Wood Pairs with Beat Boxer on Monday - September 4, 2015
- Photographer Greg Dohler’s Surreal Sense of Place: At 13.5% Wine Bar Starting Tomorrow - August 7, 2015
- Fear of Injection - February 5, 2014