Museums have a great word that they use when they are getting rid of unwanted pieces from their collections: deaccessioning. The spellcheck always flags it, but it is a real word! It means to sell an item from a collection. And that’s just what’s happening at Halcyon Farm over the weekend of June 27th and 28th.
Stiles is having a Barn Sale, and it’s going to be one for the ages, which actually scares us a little bit. Between years of collecting personally and for the decorating business, things have reached a tipping point, and only a barn could hold everything that is being sold!
There is literally something for everyone at the Barn Sale, and it will only take a glance across the vast floor of the barn to see something that you fall in love with. Do you love fabric and textiles? Great! There are bolts of fabrics; from hand-woven silks to hand-printed linens, and almost everything in between.
How about china? We have whole sets and single pieces! And don’t get us started on the glassware… there are glasses for almost every drink that you can think of, and probably some you can’t.
Not only are we using the top section of the barn, but we’re filling the stalls as well!
There will be lamps, pictures and frames, auction catalogs, table linens, wicker and furniture. Oh, and you might see our miniature horses hanging out in their stalls, too. But we’re keeping them and they won’t be for sale.
Saturday, we are advertising as first dibs. The earlier you get to the sale (after it opens, of course!), the better chance you will have to get exactly what you want. On Sunday, after noon, we’re advertising great bargains. We need to clear out the barn, so will be wheeling and dealing!
We’re pretty sure it’s going to be a huge event, so we’re putting a couple of “rules” in place.
- Our friends from the Chestnut Ridge Volunteer Fire Department will be helping us with traffic control. We are asking that each car make a $5.00 contribution for their efforts, and access to the property will be by car only, no walk-ins.
- The gate opens at 8:30 a.m. but no one will be admitted to the barn until 9:00 a.m. We need to sleep as late as we can – it’s going to be a busy couple of days!
- We will be accepting cash and charges only. No checks. Who still writes checks anyway?
- Please bring tote bags and paper to wrap your goods. Hey, if you happen to have a stack of brown paper bags and a week or two of the Wall Street Journal, bring that along, too! We can probably use them!
- We will have some people available to help carry items, and to arrange delivery, but it’s up to you to arrange that with them personally. We don’t really want to get into the delivery business.
- Please be nice to us and our helpers. It’s our first – and probably our last – time for this, and we’re all amateurs! Yes, we will be a little slow on the calculator. No, we won’t have any more bags with handles. So sorry, there’s not a bathroom here (it’s a barn!). Be nice and smile at us. We will smile back.
Check our Facebook page, The Barn Sale at Halcyon Farm for more information and pictures! And we hope to see you on the 27th or 28th.
The View From Halcyon Farm is sponsored by Halcyon House Antiques, located at 11219 Greenspring Avenue in Lutherville. For more information visit the Halcyon House website or call 410-828-8889.