A safety bulletin from the State Highway Administration urges travelers to use extra caution on the road today. With freezing rain predicted through Monday morning, the SHA and the Maryland Transportation Authority have crews at the ready to respond with salt. “However, as crews salt, if freezing rain continues it can be hard to prevent icing, particularly on bridges, ramps and overpasses.”
Below, official instructions for safety today and every ice-cold day we’ll experience.
Drivers should check conditions at www.traffic.maryland.gov and www.MD511.org or call 511 (1-855-GOMD511 outside the region) for current travel and weather information. Once you visit the 511 website, sign up to follow 511 on Twitter with regional alerts and create your own personalized service with MY511 by registering your frequent routes. MY511 will recognize you upon return visits or calls and bypass general information, reporting your route information first, saving you time.
If traveling longer distances, the I-95 Corridor Coalition is a resource to plan ahead by visiting the web at www.I95coalition.org. For general information, follow @MDSHA on Twitter and visit www.roads.maryland.gov.
SHA reminds everyone on the road BSAFE: Buckle up; Slow down — speed limits are set for fair weather conditions; Always drive sober; Focus on the road and Everyone share the road so everyone gets home. Additionally, see and be seen by clearing your entire vehicle of ice; allow extra time, don’t rush; watch for pedestrians navigating icy conditions on foot; make sure wipers work and fill washer fluid — an absolute must for visibility.
Please follow key safety laws:
• No hand-held mobile phone use or texting in travel lanes; even stopped at signals;
• Wipers on, lights on!
• MOVE OVER — fender benders with no injuries, move out of travel lanes!
• MOVE OVER to free lanes away from emergency vehicles during incidents, and please force yourself to keep your eyes on the road, not to look at the scene.
Latest posts by Edited from Press Release (see all)
- BUILD Calls on Corporate and Civic Sectors for a Radical Vision and Collective Leadership - April 8, 2019
- The League for People with Disabilities Hosts FREE Family Fun Art Festival on 8/18 - August 9, 2018
- Three Baltimore Design School Students Win Summer Scholarships in ‘Open Tank’ Makers Competition at Open Works - July 3, 2018