By now, odds are you’re pretty sick of “Little Drummer Boy.” And “All I Want for Christmas Is You.” And “Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer.” Lucky for us, we live in a city with bountiful musical talent and plenty of holiday spirit. Local music stars from Wye Oak to Dan Deacon have their own versions of holiday songs; maybe you’d like to take a listen?
- Wye Oak got a lot of well-deserved love from the Onion’s AV Club this year — their most recent (and awesome) album, Civilian, got named best album of the year by the site. And the band repaid the favor by playing a live cover of “Christmas Will Be Just Another Lonely Day” by Brenda Lee; song and video here.
- Baltimas, a compilation of strange holiday songs by Baltimore residents, features many local favorites. Listen for Dan Deacon’s take on “Carol of the Bells,” and a Christmas rap by Sam Herring of Future Islands.
- Okay, so this song is from last year — but we figured you wouldn’t mind. Beach House manages to be both sad and celebratory on their holiday original, “I Do Not Care for the Winter Sun.”
Latest posts by Rachel Monroe (see all)
- Facebook’s IPO:A Good Investment? U of MD Prof Says, Maybe - May 18, 2012
- This Week in Research:Fear of Falling; Building Better Banks - March 9, 2012
- Baltimore’s Own Rubik’s Cube Champion - March 8, 2012