By now, odds are you’re pretty sick of “Little Drummer Boy.” And “All I Want for Christmas Is You.” And “Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer.” Lucky for us, we live in a city with bountiful musical talent and plenty of holiday spirit. Local music stars from Wye Oak to Dan Deacon have their own versions of holiday songs; maybe you’d like to take a listen?
- Wye Oak got a lot of well-deserved love from the Onion’s AV Club this year — their most recent (and awesome) album, Civilian, got named best album of the year by the site. And the band repaid the favor by playing a live cover of “Christmas Will Be Just Another Lonely Day” by Brenda Lee; song and video here.
- Baltimas, a compilation of strange holiday songs by Baltimore residents, features many local favorites. Listen for Dan Deacon’s take on “Carol of the Bells,” and a Christmas rap by Sam Herring of Future Islands.
- Okay, so this song is from last year — but we figured you wouldn’t mind. Beach House manages to be both sad and celebratory on their holiday original, “I Do Not Care for the Winter Sun.”
- Facebook’s IPO:A Good Investment? U of MD Prof Says, Maybe - May 18, 2012
- This Week in Research:Fear of Falling; Building Better Banks - March 9, 2012
- Baltimore’s Own Rubik’s Cube Champion - March 8, 2012