Bill Gates may live in Washington state, and Warren Buffet holes up in Nebraska, but Maryland has plenty of billionaires, too. Want proof? Forbes recently released its list of the 400 richest Americans, and seven Marylanders make the cut. Can you guess who they are?
110. Ted Lerner, $4.5 billion, real estate, Chevy Chase
133. Mitchell Rales, $3.8 billion, manufacturing, Potomac
190. Kevin Plank, $3 billion, Under Armour CEO, Lutherville
190. David Rubenstein, $3 billion, Carlyle Group CEO, Bethesda
235. Stephen Bisciotti, $2.6 billion, Ravens Owner, Millersville
235. Bernard Saul, II, $2.6 billion, real estate, Chevy Chase
Not a whole lot of surprises here; while the photos accompanying the Forbes list want you to think that billionaires look like Oprah, Elizabeth Holmes, and Mark Zuckerberg, Maryland’s wealthiest people look a lot more like your typical billionaire: white men over the age of 40. The state’s biggest gainer this year was Under Armour’s Plank, who jumped from #327 last year to #190 this year. Other than that, same suspects, different billions.
Latest posts by Rachel Monroe (see all)
- The Effect of a Dilapidated Home on a Baltimore Block - September 19, 2017
- The Ku Klux Klan Is Apparently Still Alive and Well in Maryland - August 24, 2017
- Baltimore May Be Getting a Professional Soccer Team - September 16, 2016