Weekly Wellness Tip
The Changing Face of Heart Attack Care
In a heart attack, a blocked artery prevents blood from reaching an area of heart muscle. At first, cells are merely stunned, but as minutes tick by, they start to die. Luckily, faster care of people in the throes of a heart attack has contributed to a significant reduction in the death rate from coronary heart disease.
In Less Than an Hour, a Heart Is Pumping Again:
- Around 1:30 a.m. Mrs. Smith has a heart attack. She receives an electrocardiogram (EKG) in the ambulance.
- Clock starts at 1:54 a.m. The ambulance delivers Mrs. Smith to the emergency room.
- 6 minutes. Staff members prepare her for surgery. The emergency room doctor orders another EKG before paging the heart attack team.
- 9 minutes. A single phone call pages the heart attack team. An operating room is prepared.
- 33 minutes. The heart attack team begins to arrive. A cardiologist obtains consent from Mrs. Smith and prepares to move her.
- 41 minutes. Mrs. Smith is moved to the operating room, where doctors begin surgery on her heart.
- 55 minutes. A balloon and stent inserted into Mrs. Smith’s wrist and maneuvered to her heart clear her blocked artery.
Mrs. Smith’s artery was opened fast enough to save her heart muscle and there was no permanent damage. (Ref: nytimes.com)
Recipe of the Week:
If you are making this Zucchini Salad With Arugula, Mint and Lemon for a party or picnic, you can prepare everything in advance; just don’t dress with lemon juice and olive oil until right before serving.
Quote of the Week:
“There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is in having lots to do and not doing it.”
– Mary Wilson Little
For a consultation on how you can step up your game- whether it’s time to get in shape, or get to the next level- contact Debbie. You have to take a step to move forward!
Core Fitness, 1840G York Road, Timonium, MD 21093
410-440-5807 [email protected] www.fitforyouonline.com
Click to Like Us on Facebook!
- The Park School of Baltimore Virtual Open House for Middle and Upper Schools This Sunday - October 23, 2020
- Program Spotlight: St. John’s Parish Day School - October 23, 2020
- Notre Dame Preparatory School Named RMI Champion of Maryland Manufacturing - October 23, 2020