Weekly Wellness Tip :Can Your Diet Save Your Brain
A new study by researchers at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago shows that a diet plan they developed – called the MIND diet – may significantly reduce the risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease.
MIND stands for Mediterranean-DASH Intervention for Neurodegenerative Delay. This diet combines elements of the Mediterranean diet and the DASH diet, but it differs from those plans in a few significant ways and proves more effective than either of them at reducing the risk of Alzheimer’s.
The good news is that even “modest adherence” to the MIND diet measurably reduced a person’s chances of developing Alzheimer’s disease.
Ten Brain Healthy Food Groups
- Green leafy vegetables – six or more servings a week (kale, spinach, salad greens).
- Other vegetables – at least one a day.
- Nuts – five servings a week.
- Berries – at least two servings a week.
- Beans –at least three servings a week.
- Whole grains – three servings a day.
- Fish – at least once a week.
- Poultry – two or more servings a week.
- Olive oil – as your primary oil.
- Wine – one glass a day.
Five Unhealthy Food Groups
- Red meat – limit to no more than four servings a week.
- Butter and margarine – limit to less than a tablespoon per day.
- Cheese – limit to once a week.
- Sweets – limit to no more than five treats per week.
- Fried foods and fast foods – limit to once a week.
Recipe of the Week:
Get some relief from the heat by whipping up Strawberry Frozen Yogurt in five minutes. Click for Recipe.
Quote of the Week:
“Be the reason someone smiles today.”
For a consultation on how you can step up your game- whether it’s time to get in shape, or get to the next level- contact Debbie. You have to take a step to move forward!
Core Fitness, 1840G York Road, Timonium, MD 21093
410-440-5807 [email protected] www.fitforyouonline.com
Click to Like Us on Facebook!
Latest posts by Sponsored Post Staff (see all)
- Leaders on Leading: A Conversation with Notre Dame Prep - February 22, 2019
- Before and After: Sunnyfields Cabinetry Breathes Fresh Air into Master Bath Remodel - February 20, 2019
- Garrison Forest Girls Take on Woodworking - February 20, 2019