So how about that (totally not) historic snowstorm, huh? Sure, it was no Snowpocalypse, but it’s still pretty nippy out, and we have every reason to believe it will remain so for the foreseeable future. Or at least, that’s what we’re assuming until Punxsutawney Phil makes his official decree in a few days. So with plenty of winter ahead, it’s the perfect time to stock up on ways to bundle up. And few know more about layering, and about clothes that are soft, cozy, and fashionable than the folks at Chezelle. So head over any time before the 30th for their big Bundle Up sale.
The champagne corks have been popped and everyone is gearing up to go back to work and school. Around Baltimore, post-Christmas sales are winding down, though even in the thick of winter, there are sales to be shopped. Here’s some of what’s happening in Baltimore this week:
- The Winter Clearance sale has begun at Jones & Jones in The Village of Cross Keys, with fall and winter clothes on sale for up to 50% off.
- Also in Cross Keys, shoes are discounted up to 70% at Ruth Shaw.
- From January 8th through the 11th, the discounts will expand at Cross Keys, during its annual winter sale, with stores featuring discounts of up to 75% off.
- On January 3rd, newly engaged couples can get a head start on planning at the Bow Ties & Bubbly event, held just over the Bay Bridge at the Chesapeake Bay Beach Club. The event includes numerous vendors from Baltimore, from florists and dress shops to stationery stores.S
Now that all the gifts have been unwrapped and the cookies eaten, it’s time to take a little break, rest, relax – and shop! This week is an especially good time to stock up on holiday wrapping paper, cards and decorative items for next year, and to find the perfect outfit for New Year’s Eve festivities and upcoming winter vacations.
Many local shops are winding down the year with great discounts – or ramping up for 2015 with new merchandise. A word of warning, though – before you head out to a particular shop, check their Facebook page or give them a call, to make sure they are open. A few local shops are closed until the New Year.
Here’s some of what’s happening in and around Baltimore this week:
- For decorations, home and garden shops, including Stebbins Anderson in Kenilworth, Watson’s Garden Center in Timonium and Homestead Gardens in Annapolis and Severna Park, are always chock full of great sales on holiday-themed items.
- For discounted holiday cards and other merchandise, visit The Pleasure of Your Company in Greenspring Station, where the post-holiday sale has just begun.
- The holidays are over but complimentary holiday parking in Harbor East will continue through the weekend – so take advantage while there’s still time.
- At South Moon Under, dozens of items are on sale, including a wide variety of winter and holiday-themed home and gift items.
- From now through the first of January, Brightside Boutique & Art Studio, in Federal Hill and Fells Point, is offering 20% off purchases of $50 or more.
- At Chezelle in Cross Keys, the Spring ’15 Margaret Winters trunk show continues through the 30th. Now through the 30th, visit the Chezelle website for a coupon for 50% off any $150 purchase (exclusions listed at the link).
- At Alice Jane on Falls Road, new arrivals include great dresses for New Year’s Eve and casual jeans and tops perfect for winter vacation.
- Hats in the Belfry has a fabulous selection of fascinators perfect for the most glamorous New Year’s Eve plans.
- At Something Else in Mount Washington, the After Christmas Sale is going strong, with all coats, sweaters and winter wear is 50% off.
By Kit Waskom Pollard
The big story this week is Thanksgiving but there’s plenty going on outside the kitchen as stores gear up for the holiday shopping frenzy.
- Get a jump start on holiday shopping at the Friends School Parents Association’s 29th annual Holly Fest, held from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, November 22nd.
- During November, Urban Threads is offering 10% off blanket purchases with the donation of a gently used, clean blanket. Collected blankets will be donated to Mutts Matter Rescue, Grassroots and other local shelters.
- Through December 7th, receive 20% off select merchandise, during South Moon Under’s Holiday 2014 event. For online purchases, use the code HOLIDAY20.
On Black Friday, November 28th, stores all over the region will go crazy with extended hours and sales. Here’s just a taste of what’s happening around town:
- Harbor East shops will feature extended hours and sales – don’t miss Sassanova’s deep discounts on shoes, clothing and accessories.
- Stop by Nouveau in Belvedere Square from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. for a Black Friday/Moving Day celebration complete with live music, refreshments, a martini bar and – of course – discounts.
- Towson Town Center shops will open as early as 6 a.m. on Thanksgiving and will stay open as late as 1 a.m. on Saturday.
Holiday shopping season has started in earnest, with a bevy of sales and events happening around town. Local shops are getting into festive mode, pairing their discounts with snacks, wine and champagne. Cheers!
Here’s what’s on the shopping radar in Baltimore this week:
- On Saturday, November 15th, catch the last day of the Ronen Chen trunk show at Lori K. Check out the designer’s Spring 2015 collection and receive 20% off all orders.
- From now through November 17th, Chezelle in The Village of Cross Keys will host a trunk show featuring the clothing of JSS and Margaret Winters. Check their website for a 10% coupon on trunk show purchases or orders. Also, through November 16th, receive a free gift from Chezelle in exchange for three nonperishable food times to be donated to Paul’s Place in Washington Village.
- It’s a Personalization Palooza at Simply Noted on Wednesday, November 19th. All day, personalized items will be 10% off, with free shipping. And from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m., the store will be in party mode, with champagne, wine and snacks.
- It’s Ladies’ Night Out in Fells Point on Thursday, November 20th. From 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., local shops will offer discounts and sales. Check in at The Admiral’s Cup to pick up a special shopping bag and find out more details.
- Beaujolais is back! On November 20th, Francophiles will rejoice as the new vintage of the young French wine hits stateside shelves. Celebrate all day at BIN 604 in Harbor East, with complimentary tastings and festive fun.
- It’s all about the sweets at the Kinderhook Snacks pop-up at Becket Hitch. From 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Thursday November 20th, stop in to pre-order Kinderhook cookies for the holiday season and to stock up on goodies for the weekend.
- Silhouette artist Karl Johnson will be at The Corduroy Button in The Shops at Kenilworth on Friday, November 21st. Stop by or call the store to make an appointment with the “Silhouette Artist to the Stars.”
This week, local shops host in-store speakers, artists and sales, and debut new products for the season. Check out these events going on around Baltimore:
The Ivy Bookshop will host two events in its Falls Road store this week. The first, at 6 p.m. on Saturday November 1st, is a talk with epidemiologist and humanitarian Sandy Althomsons, author of Inside a Refugee Crisis: My Time in South Sudan. The second talk, held at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, November 4th, is with George W. Liebmann, author of The Last American Diplomat, a book about the diplomat John D. Negroponte.
On Wednesday, November 5th and Thursday, November 6th, silhouette artist Lena Bengtson will be creating silhouette portraits at The Pied Piper in Cross Keys. Call ahead for appointment availability.
Starting on Thursday, November 6th, Lori K will host a Lafayette 148 trunk show to preview the brand’s new collection. The show will run through Sunday, November 15th.
Hampden’s local shops will go big on Friday, November 7th to celebrate November’s First Friday with extended hours and fun specials. Check the Hampden Village Merchants’ Association website for details as they emerge.
While you’re in Hampden, check out the new music collection at Cloud 9. The store’s Hampden location has started carrying a small collection curated by Jason Willette of the record shop True Vine.
Head to Handbags in the City in Harbor East to check out the new Tory Burch fall bags, which just arrived in the store this week.